Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is a wonderful cucumber salad my grandmother used to make. It's great during bbq's and for picinics and as side dish during holidays
- 2 -3 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green peppers or 1⁄2 colored pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dill weed (or to taste)
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a large container with a tight fitting lid.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a glass or teflon coated sauce pan and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Let boil for 1 minute making sure sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour over cucumber mixture.
- When cool place lid on container and refrigerate over night.
I was intrigued was the ingredients when I saw this recipe and just had to try it. Followed instructions exactly and produced a most interesting cucumber salad. It was sweet and refreshing and tasted almost like bread and butter pickles. The next time I make it, I will cut down on the water, sugar, and vinegar (at least in half) as I felt the salad had way to much liquid.
I'm sorry to say but we did not like the dressing at all. Boiling the dressing seemed to spoil its taste completely. I'm sorry but I will not be making it again.
Absolutely Delscious and perfect accompanyment to almost anything that is served in the summer. This was on our table almost everyday during the summer when I was growing up. So very, very, refreshing! Thanks for posting!