Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe has been in our family for years. My grandmother used to make it. We often take this along on picnics.
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Toss together the sliced cucumbers, onions and peppers.
- Mix together vinegar, salt, sugar and celery seed.
- Pour over cucumber mixture.
- Put into plastic storge container with lid.
- Refrigerate overnight.
We enjoyed this but we thought it was a tad too sweet. Next time I would cut back on the sugar a bit. I made as directed other then I didn't add the optional green peppers.
This brings back such "food memories" for me. Grandma used to always have some variation of these in the refrigerator in the summer made with her summer bounty of cucumbers or zucchini. We did not use the green pepper but everything else was followed. Thanks for reminding me just how good these are :)
I was going to post this but found it already here. I got this recipe from my friend Carole and make it in huge amounts and save it in jars in the fridge. It keeps for a long time (if we don't pig out on it lol!) The celery seed makes this so yummy!