A yummy cucumber salad that's made without any sour cream or yogurt. From Better Home's and Garden's Oriental Recipes.
- Halve unpeeled cucumbers lengthwise, then thinly slice cucumbers crosswise.
- In a shallow dish, combine cucumbers, green onion, and serrano pepper; set aside.
- For marinade, in a small mixing bowl combine rice vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, salt, and turmeric.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over cucumber mixture.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Drain before serving.
Awesome recipe. Made this salad according to the directions for a potluck. Everyone loved it and ask for the recipe.
To me and my love of cucumbers and all things spicy this is a dream come true. Absolutely delicious in every way. The spice is just perfect and *not* hot at all. The green onion, the garlic, the turmeric is glorious in the taste combination. The only thing I didn't do is slice the cucumber lengthwise. Before I knew it, I had sliced penny-way (is this really a word?) anyway, they looked like pennies. Sorry about that. But next time I will slice lengthwise as in directions. Either way, this is a delicious way to serve this oriental recipe and I could probably sit and eat the whole cucumber and dressing in one sitting whilst I while-away the afternoon pondering why I didn't put in more cucumbers for the coming summer season. Made for you with many thanks!