Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs 20 mins
This is a sweet pickle relish similiar to what you can buy in the grocery store. (Better, I think) Can be used for Hot Dogs, Potato salad or any recipe calling for Sweet relish or salad cubes. Easy to make
- 4 cups ground unpeeled cucumbers (about 4)
- 1 cup ground green pepper (about 2)
- 1⁄2 cup ground red pepper (about 1)
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 3 cups ground onions
- 3 cups finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Use coarse blade on grinder, (I used food processor) combine all vegetables in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with cold water, let stand 4 hours.
- Drain thoroughly in colander, press out all excess liquid.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed,& mustard seed.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in drained vegetables, simmer 10 minutes.
- Pack into jars to within 1/2 inch of the top.
- Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.
- Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Yield 5-6 pints.
Made this yesterday and it is DELICIOUS! Next time will cut the celery amount in half...a little too dominating for my taste...but it is still an excellent relish! I got exactly 5 pints out of it.
I found that the celery completely overwhelmed the other ingredients, making the relish very unpleasant for someone who really doesn't like celery very much! I'll use this as a base for experimenting with recipes that leave it out, if not altogether, then to a considerable degree - so thanks for that!
Very nice flavor. Tastes like something my mom made when I was little. I noticed another reviewer added some corn starch to thicken hers but I think this thickens as it sets awhile. We quadrupled the batch and it was pretty much an all day project, even with 3 grandkids and my daughter helping. Thanks for posting!