Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs 20 mins
This is a sweet pickle relish similiar to what you can buy in the grocery store. (Better, I think) Can be used for Hot Dogs, Potato salad or any recipe calling for Sweet relish or salad cubes. Easy to make
- 4 cups ground unpeeled cucumbers (about 4)
- 1 cup ground green pepper (about 2)
- 1⁄2 cup ground red pepper (about 1)
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 3 cups ground onions
- 3 cups finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Use coarse blade on grinder, (I used food processor) combine all vegetables in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with cold water, let stand 4 hours.
- Drain thoroughly in colander, press out all excess liquid.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed,& mustard seed.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in drained vegetables, simmer 10 minutes.
- Pack into jars to within 1/2 inch of the top.
- Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.
- Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Yield 5-6 pints.
Thank you. I found the recipe to be a good base to start with. I did not use celery- but used more red pepper and green pepper and snuck in a little hot habanero pepper ! It was a great quick recipe to use a big cucumber that got left behind in our garden along with our garden peppers. Thank you to the other reviews as well who didn't like the amount of celery used in recipe. I can't wait till my husband tastes it !
Made this a couple of weeks ago. It has the thumbs up from everyone who tasted it. One comment was "mmm, you can make this again!"
Made this yesterday and it is DELICIOUS! Next time will cut the celery amount in half...a little too dominating for my taste...but it is still an excellent relish! I got exactly 5 pints out of it.