Cook4 hrs 20 mins
This is a sweet pickle relish similiar to what you can buy in the grocery store. (Better, I think) Can be used for Hot Dogs, Potato salad or any recipe calling for Sweet relish or salad cubes. Easy to make
- Use coarse blade on grinder, (I used food processor) combine all vegetables in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with cold water, let stand 4 hours.
- Drain thoroughly in colander, press out all excess liquid.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed,& mustard seed.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in drained vegetables, simmer 10 minutes.
- Pack into jars to within 1/2 inch of the top.
- Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.
- Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Yield 5-6 pints.
Very nice flavor. Tastes like something my mom made when I was little. I noticed another reviewer added some corn starch to thicken hers but I think this thickens as it sets awhile. We quadrupled the batch and it was pretty much an all day project, even with 3 grandkids and my daughter helping. Thanks for posting!
Excellent relish! I had a bumper crop of cucumbers this year and this put them to excellent use. Thank you so very much for posting it here.
Great relish! I used fresh cucumbers and peppers from my garden. I might cut back on the sugar a little next time. It was pretty sweet!