Recipe by Olha
These pickles will find favor with those who don't like the sharp bite of most pickles. Fresh lemon juice gives a nice lift to the cucumbers. Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving.
- 2 lbs cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 3 slices fresh lemon
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a thin slice from the ends of each cucumber and cut into thick slices.
- You should have about 7 cups.
- Place in a non reactive container, sprinkle with salt and let stand for 3 hours; drain.
- Rinse twice and drain thoroughly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, peppercorns and allspice in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove hot jars from canner.
- Place 1 slice lemon, 1 garlic clove and 1 bay leaf in each pint jar.
- Add cucumbers to boiling liquid and return just to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove cucumbers from liquid with a slotted spoon and pack into jars.
- Pour hot liquid over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of rim (head space).
- Process 10 minutes for pint jars and 15 minutes for quart jars.