Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great for a bridal party, meetings or any social event. Easy and quick preparation. Use either white or wheat bread. Filling may be made a day ahead and refrigerated until sandwiches are made. Recipe is easily doubled.
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons onions, grated
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 14 slices bread
- Prepare cucumber by peeling and grating. Press out water from cucumber.
- In a medium bowl stir softened cream cheese with mayonnaise until fluffy.
- Add grated onions, cucumber and salt. (If filling is made ahead and refrigerated, allow to get to room temperature before preparing sandwiches.).
- Spread filling onto 7 slices of bread and top with 7 bread slices. Crust maybe be trimmed, if desired. Cut into quarters.
We enjoyed these sandwiches last night as a light dinner alongside cream of avocado soup. Adding cream cheese to the filling gave it a richer flavor which went well with the cucumbers. I made some of the sandwiches with grated cucumbers and some with thinly sliced cucumbers. The sandwiches with the sliced cucumbers didn't slice as nicely -- some of the bread edges tore as I cut them into triangles, so I'll just use grated cukes from now on. The taste of the onions was a little strong, even though I used a sweet Vidalia onion, so next time I'll try the filling with only 1 tablespoon of the grated onion. I've made a note to add these to my appetizers next time I have a gathering of family or dinner party -- they're quick to prepare, pretty to look at, and tasty as well -- thanks for sharing this recipe.
Lovely dainty cucumber sandwiches. I can imagine them being made for a large function. I just made them for 2 of us for lunch and for the "Tea Time" event in the Photo forum. They were very nice but i think I may have added a little too much mayo and have to admit that I would have like them better with sliced rather than grated cucumber, but of course for a huge crown grated would go further. We did enjoy them.
Quick, simple, and very economical, these dainty little sandwiches are wonderful. This is a first for Buddha (who was reluctant at first, then woofed down 2 whole sandwiches) but I've had these growing up using very thin sliced cukes and onions, but never with cream cheese which makes it even more tasty. Thanks for a new take on an old favorite. ~Bird