Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 51 mins
- 1 large cucumber, peeled seeded
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
- Place cucumber in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- Place 3/4 cup of puree in a saucepan (discard remaining puree or save for another use.) Add sour cream, water, sugar, and salt to pan; heat to 120 to 130 degrees (mixture will appear separated). In a mixing bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups flour, yeast, chives and dill; add cucumber mixture. Beat on low speed just until moistened; beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 12 balls; place in a 13 x 9 x 2" baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack f! or 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
These rolls were good! I, too, was looking for a way to use up cucumbers that didn't involve a salad. I had regular sour cream and a regular package of chives and they worked just fine. They were very tasty but didn't rise to a normal "fluffy" roll texture. We ended up eating them with the Potato-Mushroom Chowder (26739) and my dh is still raving about this meal. We found that you had to eat them quickly because they went hard within 2 - 3 days so seal tightly. Thanks for a wonderfully different recipe!
I have an a huge harvest of cucumbers this year so this is perfect for me. We all love them. I used bread machine yeast and as soon as I added the wet to the dry ingredients, I put it all in the bread machine on dough cycle. These rolls are a great conversation starter, too as no one has ever heard of cucumber rolls!
Very light and yummy... had this fantastic flavour and was wonderful with chowder!