Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is wonderful with ham or fish.
Make and share this Cucumber, Onion & Pecan Relish with Country Ham recipe from Food.com.
- 4 small cucumbers, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 small hot red chile
- 3⁄4 cup toasted pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 8 slices smoked country ham (1/4-inch-thick)
- Quarter the cucumbers lengthwise, remove seeds and slice crosswise into small bite-size pieces (there should be about 4 cups).
- Toss lightly with the salt and let drain 20 minutes.
- Submerge in ice water for a minute and drain well.
- Place cucumbers and onion in stainless steel or glass bowl.
- In medium pot combine the water, vinegar, olive oil, sugar, garlic, and pepper pod; heat to boiling and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the hot mixture over the vegetables and cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate until very cold.
- Just before serving, drain the cucumber mixture, discarding the garlic and chili.
- Chop the pecans and stir into vegetables with the parsley to make relish.
- Serve each slice of ham accompanied with relish.