Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
These mustard pickles add a gorgeous yellow glow to your pickle shelf. The flavor is pungent and sensational. Try them with ham or any of your picnic favorites.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers. Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers and onions. Sprinkle with the salt and let stand for 3 hours; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, turmeric, ginger¸ and the red pepper. Stir in the vinegar, the water and mustard. Cover and bring to a boil. Add the cucumbers and the onions.
- Pack into clean, hot pint jars leaving 1/2 inch of headroom. Rub a rubber spatula around the inside of the jars to release the air bubbles and wipe the rims of the jars with a clean rag. Place the lids and the screw bands on.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.
No need for the cornstarch
Love this reciepe, easy to make and tastes really good. I did bring the cucumbers back up to boiling before putting them in the jars.
Just the right amount of hot peppers. I tasted it right from the pot and I liked the sauce and pickles right away.