Cucumber Onion Mustard Pickles
- Thinly slice the cucumbers. Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers and onions. Sprinkle with the salt and let stand for 3 hours; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, turmeric, ginger¸ and the red pepper. Stir in the vinegar, the water and mustard. Cover and bring to a boil. Add the cucumbers and the onions.
- Pack into clean, hot pint jars leaving 1/2 inch of headroom. Rub a rubber spatula around the inside of the jars to release the air bubbles and wipe the rims of the jars with a clean rag. Place the lids and the screw bands on.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.