Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Spaghetti for the carbophobe: These lemon and mint flecked cucumber strips are easy to prepare and packed with flavor. Cooking cucumbers takes them out of the salad realm, transforming them into a side dish that‘s perfect with fish or white meat. Perked up with mint and lemon, they’re as refreshing as ever. From Gourmet.
- 3 English cucumbers (usually plastic-wrapped, 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 lbs total)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Julienne each cucumber into long 1/8” strips, omitting cucumber’s core.
- Blanch cucumber “noodles” in a 4-quart pot of boiling salted water 1 minute, then drain in a colander.
- Immerse colander with cucumbers in a large bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking, about 2 minutes.
- Drain cucumbers, then transfer to a clean kitchen towel and pat cucumbers dry.
- Heat butter in a 10-inch skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides, then cook cucumbers, mint, salt, pepper, zest and lemon juice, tossing to coat, until just heated through, about 1 minute.