Recipe by dicentra
The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors – Jeff Smith Copyright 1990. Japanese
- 3 cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the cucumbers in half. Remove the seeds if they are large. Slice on thin diagonals.
- Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of salt and place in a bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Rinse, drain, and remove excess water by putting the cucumbers in a kitchen towel and squeezing out the water.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, remaining salt and ginger. Pour over cucumbers and chill.