Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Crisp Sweet Pickles to enjoy out of the jar or top a burger or sandwich.
- 2 lbs pickling cucumbers, and zucchini. fresh picked
- 1 medium onion, quartered, sliced about 1/4-inch thickness
- 1⁄3 cup kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 grape leaves (optional) or 3 raspberry leaves (optional)
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Wash cucumbers and zucchini and cut off the ends. Slice crosswise into 1/8-inch slices. Toss in a large bowl with the salt and onion slices; cover with about 4 to 6 cups of ice cubes. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare the boiling water bath. Add water to a large canner with rack and heat to about 180°. The water should be high enough to be at least 1 inch above the filled jars.
- Wash jars thoroughly and heat water in a small saucepan; put the lids in the saucepan and bring almost to the boil; lower heat to very low to keep the lids hot.
- Drain the cuke/zuke mixture in a large colander and rinse with cold water.
- Mix nigella seeds, mustard seeds,, dill seeds and distribute among the jars.
- Place garlic, one leaf per jar if using (for crispness).
- In a large pot (nonreactive) over medium heat, combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Add the drained cucumber mixture and bring to a boil. With a slotted spoon, loosely pack the vegetables in prepared jars. Ladle the hot liquid into jars.
- With a clean damp cloth wipe the rims of the jars then cover with 2-piece jar lids. Adjust the screw on rings firmly but do not over-tighten.
- Place filled in the prepared boiling water bath, adding more hot water as needed to bring the water up to about 1 inch above the jars. Bring the water to a boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes.
- Lift the jars out of the water and place on a rack to cool for 12-24 hours. Remove rings and label. Give it a week for flavors to meld.