Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Delicious in summer, as a salad, side or buffet dish, with grilled meats or ham. Very versatile -- served with a generous garnish of jumbo shrimps on a bed of arugula, crusty bread and chilled wine, it's a light lunch.
- 1 lb English cucumber
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon herbed seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- If you're using a tender English cucumber, there is no need to peel or remove seeds. If you're using the thick, old-fashioned type of cucumber, you'll need to peel it, halve lengthwise, and remove the seeds.
- Chop the cucumber into quite tiny dice.
- Put the dice in a sieve or colander and spinkle with salt. Leave, covered, for about 30 minutes to drain off liquid.
- Put the cheese in a bowl and stir or whip until smooth.
- Add the mayonnaise, nutmeg and Tabasco, and stir until well mixed and smooth.
- Soften the gelatine in 1/2 of the chicken stock, and warm over gentle heat until stock is hot. Stir well, take off heat, and stir in rest of stock. Let it cool down a little while you do the rest.
- Drain the cucumber by shaking the sieve, and pat lightly with kitchen paper.
- Oil a mould which will hold about 4 cups of mixture.
- Stir or whip the cream-cheese mixture into the stock. Season with pepper and salt, and add the cucumber dice, chives and parsley. Fold in well.
- When the cucumber mixture starts to thicken, whip the cream until soft peaks form, and fold into the mixture.
- Add the lemon juice and stir in well.
- Pour into the oiled mould, and leave in refrigerator to set, 6 hours or overnight.
- Turn out on a pretty plate, on shredded lettuce, or serve with a border of juicy jumbo shrimp.