Recipe by Prose
Great for summer picnics, potlucks and BBQs! This is an improvement upon my Cucumber-Mint Couscous Salad. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces quorn pieces, brand chik'n tenders or 12 ounces tofu, cubes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the quinoa in a saucepan with 1 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Cool at least to room temperature before adding to the salad or you will "cook" your delicate fresh mint (It's not the end of the world if this happens, though).
- In a skillet, toast the pine nuts over low-medium heat for a few minutes, until they start to turn brown and smell really good. Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add Chik'n Tenders or tofu and sautee until heated through. Set aside to cool.
- When everything has cooled to about room temperature, mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Chill in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Serving suggestions: serve in a hollowed-out tomato and/or top with feta cheese or soy feta.