Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is posted for ZWT 2006. It is from India. A simple, refreshing raita that may be served with all Indian meals. From Madhur Jaffrey
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, roasted and ground
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped into a small dice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, crumbled
- Put yogurt in a bowl and beat lightly with a fork until smooth and creamy.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne and cumin. Mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Based on the last review, I KNEW I just HAD to make this raita too! Eat ALOT of curry, lot of raita too! DEFINATELY the cayenne (used hot) provides that kick, but is totally delish with Restaurant-Style Tandoori Chicken in the Oven! Restaurant-Style Tandoori Chicken in the Oven! TRUE! THANKS!
We eat a lot of raita with curry and this one was excellent. I couldn't find my cayenne so used half a teaspoon of Kashmiri chilli powder instead. It gave it the slight pinkish tinge you see in the photo, but worked well.