Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another refreshing lunch salad my sis and me came up with for taking to school with us. It features millet, beans and cucumber thus being very healthy and giving you lots of power. The feta makes a nice salty addition without adding too many calories.
- 125 g millet
- 250 ml water
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 125 g reduced-fat feta cheese, diced finely (may use less if desired)
- 283.49 g canlarge white beans, drained
- 2.46 ml ground red chili pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- 9.85 ml dried dill (I use more, cause I like it)
- salt and pepper
- Rinse millet and add to a small sauce pan with the 250 ml water. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes and then allow to soak up all the remaining water for 10 more minutes.
- In a big bowl combine all the rest of the ingredients. Add the millet and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat either warm or cold.
This is a great recipe, it just needs some dressing for my tastebuds :) I made as written and added my favourite herb dressing, and it was perfect! Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for Sprang Pantry Clean out in the Diabetes Forum
I loved the combinations in this dish but I found the millet itself was pretty tasteless so I had to up the flavorings to make it really tasty. Particularly the red pepper flakes. I think this would be especially wonderful with just quinoa or a combination of millet and quinoa but, made with millet alone, I found it a little bland.
Absolutely delicious!! I love the cool of the cucumber with the dill, and the feta adds saltyness without any extra salt. I did add a bit of fresh ground pepper, but otherwise, it didn't need a thing! Love it, love it, love it! Made for 1-2-3 Hits.