Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This popular dish was printed in our local newspaper, the Honolulu Advertiser.
- 6 medium cucumbers, best if crisp variety, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sea salt ("Hawaiian salt")
- 3 tablespoons korean chili powder or 3 tablespoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small daikon radish, sliced in thin strips (turnip)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 cups chives, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled, minced (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Soak cucumbers in coarse salt for about 1/2 hour.
- Mix other ingredients together; add cucumbers.
- Soak at room temperature for about an hour, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
thanks for the recipe, its good, i left out the ginger the second time i made it, and that fit my taste better.