Recipe by JAK
This is a twist on a simple key-lime pie recipe, I invented it for a family reunion, about one hour ago. One advantage it has over the traditional recipe is that it is naturally greenish, not yellow. The other advantage is that it is very, very tasty. You can dress this up any way you would like, and you may use any crust you wish. I just didn't feel like a store-bought crust today.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 cup cucumber, just the peel
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, key-lime preferred
- 3 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soften butter in microwave.
- Stir butter into flour and sugar to form a paste.
- Press this paste into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, let cool.
- Combine lime zest, juice, and cucumber peel, puree in blender until smooth.
- Stir into bowl with sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and stir into smooth.
- Pour into pie pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove and cool for 10 minutes.
- Place in fridge until completely cool.