Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe was given to me by my friend, Gaye, over 20 years ago. It's a refreshing chilled soup that is good as either an appetizer or a first course. Also good as a light dinner with a salad and some crusty bread and a glass of chilled white wine! Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 4 large cucumbers, peeled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 pint sour cream
- fresh dill or dried dill, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut several thin slices of cucumber for garnish; soak in ice water until needed. Chop remaining cucumber.
- Sauté cucumber and onion in butter until wilted, but not browned.
- Process sautéed vegetables with 2-3 drops of green food coloring in a blender or food processor until smooth; return to saucepan.
- Add chicken stock, lemon juice,dill, and salt; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Chill for at least 6 hours.
- Just before serving, whisk in sour cream.
- Garnish each serving with crisp cucumber slices and sprinkle with fresh or dries dill.