Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Gourmet. September 1990. make ahead.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 seedless cucumber, 14-16 inches
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh dill, plus
- dill sprigs (to garnish)
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Drain the yogurt in a fine sieve set over a bowl, its surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, overnight.
- Cut the cucumber crosswise into sixteen 3/4-inch pieces and with a melon-ball cutter scoop out the centers, forming 1/4-inch-thick cups.
- Sprinkle the cucumber cups with salt and let them drain, inverted, on paper towels for 10 minutes. In a bowl combine well the yogurt, the scallions, the minced dill, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pat the cucumber cups dry gently and divide the yogurt mixture among them.
- Cut the salmon into eight 6- by 1/2-inch strips, halve the strips diagonally, and roll them up, beginning with the pointed ends and turning the edges slightly, to form rose shapes.
- Arrange the salmon roses and the dill sprigs decoratively on the yogurt mixture. The filled cucumber cups may be made 1 hour in advance and kept covered and chilled.