Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of the easiest appetizers to make. It is so simple and can be made ahead of time.
- English cucumber, unpeeled
- fresh herb (to garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh crab
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon green onion, sliced fine
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together, taste for seasoning; set aside. This can be covered and refrigerated for 1 day.
- Cut the unpeeled cucumber into 1-1/2" thick slices; with the cucumber slice still laying on it's side, make a diagonal cut, now you have two diagonal cut pieces of cucumber.
- Use a melon baller to make a small round hole in the center of the cucumber where the seeds are to make a cup; do not cut completely through to the other side.
- Lightly salt each cucumber cup; place on a paper towel to drain. They can be refrigerated at this point and finished later.
- When ready to serve remove the cucumber cups from the refrigerator and place a small amount of the crab mixture in the center of each round hole in the cucumber and serve; garnish with fresh herbs.
Beautiful and utterly delicious. And, as has been said before, really easy. Not cheap--I made it with Dungeness crab--but worth every penny. I had no idea how to pose the diagonally-cut cucumbers, so I went by instinct.
Great summer dish - I doubled the recipe (except the olive oil) and my husband and I ate this for dinner. We made it a second time, but diced the cucumbers and served it as a salad. We love lime so we added a little extra lime juice.
Very nice appetizers, & as said, the 'easiest' to make! The only change I made was to peel the cucumbers in thin alternating strips lengthwise, to give a narrow section [peeled] contrasting with a wide green section [unpeeled] to each cup! I enjoyed the ease of making these [compared, lets say, with scooping out & stuffing cherry tomatoes!], & the raves were just as prolific! Thanks for the great appetizer recipe!