Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is super easy, very tasty and travels well so it's great for picnics, lunch bags, whatever. It tastes wonderful at room temperature. From the Chicago Tribune, originally attributed to Ron Bilaro, a personal chef in Chicago. The original recipe called for 2 T. of the sesame oil but I knocked that down to 1 T. as we feel a little goes a long way with sesame oil. Add more if you wish.
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- Whisk together vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine carrots, cucumber and onion in a medium bowl. Add the vinegar dressing and mix thoroughly.
- This travels well and tastes great at room temperature.
Made this for a large-group luau and it was a hit. Very easy to scale up or down to fit your needs.