Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Lemon, in the form of shredded peel and juice, adds a subtle flavor to these cucumber sandwiches. From "Christmas Cooking From the Heart" by BHG.
- 1⁄2 of a medium English cucumber, very thinly sliced (~1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 slices firm-textured white bread or 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- In a bowl combine cucumber, red onion, lemon peel, lemon juice, salt, and ground black pepper; toss gently to coat.
- If desired, remove crusts from bread slices.
- Cut each bread slice diagonally into quarters (or use 2 to 2 1/2-inch decorative cutters to cut shapes from bread slices).
- Spread butter onto one side of each piece of bread; top each with some of the cucumber mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and chives.
- Spoon a little of the sour cream mixture on top of each canape.
- If desired, garnish each canape with additional finely shredded lemon peel.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
I made these with whole wheat bread and dark German wheat bread. I cut them into Christmas trees and snowflakes, and they were delicious! Thank you!
Light and refreshing - loved the addition of the lemon flavor. I used whole wheat bread and omitted the salt. Thanks for sharing!
Cucumbers are grown yr-rd in hot houses here & veggie finger-food like this is popular as well. I used lightly toasted whole wheat bread & otherwise made as written for an appy nite we try to have twice a wk on the dys DH eats a main meal at noon while at work. These were delicious & provided some crunch along side homemade soup & deviled eggs. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)