Recipe by CraftScout
This recipe is from a great Japanese food site, Just Hungry. This is a Japanese style instant pickle, not one meant to be preserved like Western style pickles. These sweet and sour and salty pickles should be eaten within a few days, and kept in the refrigerator. This uses the fueru (or kind that just requires soaking) type of wakame
- 8 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dashi powder or 1 piece kombu seaweed, 4 inches square
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper (optional)
- 1 large English cucumber
- 2 tablespoons dried pre-cut wakame seaweed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine marinade ingredients in a zipper bag or non-metal bowl and shake/ stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Cut cucumber into thick slices or small chunks. Place in marinade along with wakame.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight. Pour off marinade to serve.
- NOTES: Marinade can be reused once, simply boil, let col, and add fresh veggies. Other veggies to try: turnips, carrots, radishes, daikon radishes.