Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A light salad or vegan side dish with lots of protein. From"Japanese Vegetarian Cooking", by Leslie Downer.
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces tofu, well-drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dashi (basic Japanese soup stock)
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- lightly toasted sesame seeds (to garnish, white or black)
- Slice the cucumber into very fine julienne strips.; salt lightly, then place in a colander and cover with a plate and small jar of water to act as a weight. Set aside for 10 minutes to drain, then knead lightly, rinse, and pat dry.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Brush a small frying pan with the oil, heat over medium heat, and saute the tofu for 5 minutes until golden. Allow to cool and combine it with the cucumber.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small saucepan and bring just to a boil, then cool to room temperature.
- Toss the salad in the dressing just before serving and heap in small mounds in the centers of 4 deep bowls. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.