Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Versatile side dish that can be paired with hotdogs, hamburgers, pot roasts and all kinds of fish. This salad can be made up to 8 hours in advance, kept covered and refrigerated.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley or 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl toss together the cucumbers, onion, and salt. Add cold water to cover the mixture by 1 inch and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables, pressing out as much water as possible, and return them to the bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients and refrigerate salad until ready to serve.
This is wonderful. We're not huge fans of cucumbers, but had some in our CSA basket and we like them this way! I added a minced hot chile, but otherwise made it as written. Definitely a keeper!
I usually make cucumber salads with dill but the cumin works very well. We didn't have a lot of the extras like the onion or fresh herbs but we still enjoyed the "plain" version of just the cucumbers with the yogurt dressing.