Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very easy side salad for a picnic or covered dish event. My mom kept this going in our frig all summer. I think she got the cucumbers from an aunt and uncle that had a farm nearby.
- 2 -3 large cucumbers
- 1 medium white onion
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- You will need a 2 quart jar with lid or other 2 quart container.
- Cut the ends off the cucumbers and peel along the long edge in 3-4 strips to leave a sort of stripped cucumber.
- Slice the cucumber in thin rounds.
- Peel and slice the onion in thin slices and separate.
- Put the cucumber and onion alternately in your jar/container.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cover your jar/container tightly and gently turn so the ingredients are mixed together.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve cold.
Ahhh, this is it! My mom used to make this when I was a kid. It was one of those recipes I never got from her. This is my first year growing cucumbers and I've got more than I can handle. I made this salad according to the recipe and this is it. Takes me back for sure. Thanks so much.
great recipe, my mom made this often when I was younger. It's perfect. Try it.
There are salads and there are refrigerator pickles. This makes the latter. I was in the mood for a salad, and I'm not a fan of soggy cucumbers, so I tried it without water and soaking. This made a strong dressing, but that wouldn't have been unpleasant except for the TON AND A HALF OF PEPPER! I wonder if it's a misprint, if it's supposed to say a teaspoon, because I found it enough pepper to want to gag. I think the sugar-to-vinegar ratio is okay, but it was hard to tell anything in that black mess. This makes an intensely peppery refrigerated pickle, and I had been hoping for a nice cucumber salad.