Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very easy side salad for a picnic or covered dish event. My mom kept this going in our frig all summer. I think she got the cucumbers from an aunt and uncle that had a farm nearby.
- 2 -3 large cucumbers
- 1 medium white onion
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- You will need a 2 quart jar with lid or other 2 quart container.
- Cut the ends off the cucumbers and peel along the long edge in 3-4 strips to leave a sort of stripped cucumber.
- Slice the cucumber in thin rounds.
- Peel and slice the onion in thin slices and separate.
- Put the cucumber and onion alternately in your jar/container.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cover your jar/container tightly and gently turn so the ingredients are mixed together.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve cold.
Ahhh, this is it! My mom used to make this when I was a kid. It was one of those recipes I never got from her. This is my first year growing cucumbers and I've got more than I can handle. I made this salad according to the recipe and this is it. Takes me back for sure. Thanks so much.
I don't recall ever sitting down to dinner with my grand mother or great grand mother without having this cucumber salad. I think they might have "pickled" or canned it some other way too. They said it was good for the intestines and very tasty too.
Thank you for posting this recipe! My dad used to make this in the summer every year! He's gone now but this salad reminds me of those summers when he'd harvest from his garden. I sure do miss him. ��