Simple recipe, but oh so good. Adapted from a recipe in the Southern Living 1981 Cookbook, month of April. Nice to have at a cookout. Nice, low-cal dish. Cook time is chill time, and prep time includes letting the cucumbers rest.
- Lay cucumbers in one layer and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Then take paper towels and blot moisture from cucumbers.
- Get them as dry as possible.
- Mix sour cream, vinegar, and sugar.
- Combine onions and cucumbers.
- Mix sour cream mixture and vegetables together.
- Cover and chill at least 6 hours, preferably overnight, stirring occasionally.
These were yummy cucumbers. I added some garlic and dill weed to tweek them slightly- we love garlic. I cut WAY back on the salt because I did not do the step where you salt them down and dry them off. I will probably do that next time. The juices from the cucumbers accumulated on the top the next day because I didn't do it but I just poured that off.
We really enjoyed this recipe, I added a little more vinegar, and a tad more onion. Will make again.
I wanted to make a different vegetable side dish tonight, and came across this recipe. IT WAS FANTASTIC, delicious, really hit the spot!! I did reduce the salt as suggested by previous reviewers, and did not have time to let it marinate. We ate the dish immediately and it was still great. Thanks for sharing.