Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from Yamuna's Table by Yamuna Devi. This is a refreshing summer salad.
- 1 cucumber, peeled,halved,seeded,and diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and finely slivered
- 1 granny smith apple, cored,quartered,and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, pan-toasted until golden
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil or 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mild paprika or 1⁄8 teaspoon hot paprika
- fresh ground pepper
- Combine the cucumber, fennel, apple, and lemon juice in a serving bowl and gently mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice through paprika until emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over salad.
- Serve immediately or marinade covered, in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Toss before serving and garnish with toasted nuts.
This was delicious! I wasn't sure how to incorporate the cilantro and mint and oil, so I just added them to the dressing after the paprika and orange juice were well whisked. This salad is really interesting, and I would even have it as a snack.
This was phenomenal! I've made it several times, occasionally replacing the cucumber with celery with equally delicious results. It's also inspired a lazier regular on my menu - thinly sliced fennel, celery, and green apple dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.