Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Very fresh tasting summer soup that is very healthy, too. Perfect use of home grown cucumbers. Very time consuming, but a nice treat. Cook time is chill/marinating time.
- 11 large cucumbers (about 8lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup honey, divided
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and seeded
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- dill sprigs (optional garnish)
- Cut 5 cucumbers in to 3" chunks.
- Place half in a food processor or blender with 2 tablespoons of honey and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a cheesecloth lined strainer into a bowl.
- Puree remaining chunks of cucumber, (without honey), and strain through cheesecloth into same bowl.
- Peel, seed and thinly slice remaining cucumbers and place slices in a separate bowl.
- Add vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons of honey and toss to coat.
- Cover and chill both bowls of cucumber for at least 8 hours.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer and the back of a spoon, squeeze the juice from pureed cucumber mixture. Discard the solids.
- Place half the marinated cucumber slices, avocado and 1 and 3/4 cups cucumber juice in blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Repeat with remaining cucumber slices and 1 and 3/4 cups of juice. Reserver any remaining juice for another use, if desired.
- Stir in chopped dill, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with cracked black pepper and dill sprigs if desired.