Recipe by Cook4_6
Source: Cucina! Cucina! restaurant - Seattle, Washington I love salads...good salads....and this one is one! I have made this repeatedly since finding the recipe. I usually substitute an equivalent amount of egg beaters for the fresh egg instead of completing the microwave step. Don't skip the basil...it really adds a lot! (Sometimes I mix in about 1/3 cup of grated parmesan before I add the oil...it is a nice addition*)
Top Review by sandrasothere
This is spot on. I've missed Cucina!Cucina!'s chopped salad since they've all but disappeared. This took me right back. It's hearty and a bit tart, and the flavors meld very well together. I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces cooked chickpeas, lightly chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
- 12 ounces diced poached chicken breasts
- 8 ounces dry wine salami, diced
- 8 ounces plum tomatoes, diced, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated provolone cheese, divided
- 3 thin green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 8 lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare vinaigrette: Combine egg yolk and water in a small bowl; whisk well. Cover the bowl with a small plate and microwave on HIGH for 10 seconds or until the mixture starts to expand. Continue to cook 5 seconds longer. Whisk with a clean whisk. Cover, then cook on high for 5 seconds. Remove from the microwave, whisk with a clean whisk, cover and let sit 1 minute. (This process heats the egg enough to kill any harmful bacteria.).
- In a food processor, combine egg mixture, Dijon, garlic, salt, pepper, dry mustard, oregano, sugar, vinegar and lemon juice; process to blend. Blend in grated parmesan if you choose to add it. Slowly add olive oil, processing until emulsified. Set aside.
- To prepare salad: Combine chickpeas, iceberg lettuce, basil, mozzarella, chicken, salami, half of the tomatoes, half of the provolone and half of the green onions. Toss with dressing. (You may not need all of the dressing. Refrigerate any that remains.).
- Divide evenly among 8 lettuce-lined plates. Garnish with remaining tomatoes, provolone and green onions.