Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
rump steak with creamy basil pesto, whole mustard seeds, garlic and cheese rolled up and slow baked
- 800 g serving of good grade rump steak
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons creamy basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- cheese, to sprinkle (preferably parmesan)
- butchers kitchen twine, for meat
- 3 baking potatoes, cut into chunks par cooked
- vegetables, of your choice
- Slice the rump steak in half length ways leaving about a finger thickness uncut to form two sides similar to a book.
- Spread the pesto, mustard seeds, garlic and cheese over meat.
- Tightly roll meat into a cylinder shape similar to a swiss roll and tie with butcher's twine.
- Drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil if available and put into 160°C oven for 25 minutes turning twice only.
- Deep fry par cooked jacketed (skins on) potatoes until crispy. Drain and put aside.
- Blanch other vegetables, I have a corn cob, carrots, beans peas and zucchini but anything is good.
- Once meat is cooked to preference rest for 5 minutes to settle juices and flavour, cut in to portions and serve on plate with potatoes and vegetables.
- Have with herb and garlic bread.
- Boun appitetto.