Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This isn't your normal Italian Fig Cookie recipe, but it's very good! The difference in this recipe, it that it calls for maraschino cherries and Amaretto! Yum! They do take a little time to make, put they are very good and the flavor improves after a day or two. It wouldn't be Christmas without them!
- 2 cups chopped dried figs
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- powdered sugar
- In blender, blend figs, cherries, pecans and Amaretto; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or a fork.
- Add eggs, vanilla and milk; mix well.
- Roll out strips of dough and cut into 2x4-inch rectangles.
- Place a teaspoonful of filling onto each rectangle.
- Roll so that short ends make the seam and place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Do not over bake!
- Let the cookies cool completely.
- To make icing, mix a small bowl of powdered sugar with very little water.
- Add water a little at a time until icing is a smooth constancy that can spread easily, but not runny.
- Ice cookies and add sprinkles.
- Store up to 3 weeks in tins until ready to serve.
What an amazing flavor combination. These were a big hit at our gathering. Now I need to make more for Christmas.