Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fig cookie which is made at Christmas. From: www.OreganoFromItaly.com
- 4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 12 ounces dried figs, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup candied orange, diced
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into small dice
- 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, ground
- egg wash
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- multi-colored candy sprinkles (optional)
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Run the blade a few times to mix.
- Add the butter to the bowl and pulse to combine. Add the eggs, and run the blade until forming a consistent dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and wrap in a plastic foil. Place in the refrigerator.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the figs, raisins, candied orange, almonds, chocolate, apricot preserve, rum, cinnamon, and cloves. Pulse the blade until a smooth compound is obtained.
- Transfer the fig paste to a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Prepare the egg wash by beating the eggs with a pinch of salt.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and unwrap it on a floured work surface. Add a small quantity of flour. Knead the dough to make it soft and smooth.
- Cut the dough into 10 - 12 pieces. With the help of a rolling pin, flatten each piece into a rectangle approximately 3 x 15 inch (7 x 35 cm).
- Brush the egg wash on the dough.
- Place approximately 1/3 cup of filling in the center of the rectangle lengthwise.
- Take one edge of the dough and bring it over the filling to form a roll.
- With the palm of your hands roll the cylinder to make it even.
- Cut the roll into 4-5 pieces approximately 3 - 4 inch (8 - 10 cm) long. Set them aside. Continue forming the rolls until all the dough and the filling are used.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 4 - 5 diagonal incisions on the surface of the rolls. You can also cut straight incisions on the surface of the rolls, and curve the cookies in a "U" shape.
- Transfer the rolls to 3 cookie pans lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the surface with the remaining egg wash.
- Optionally sprinkle with multicolored nonpareil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer onto racks to cool.