Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
I have made this for years with many changes along the way and here is what I have for now. Simple quick meal. For a extra depth in flavor use CAVENDER'S All Purpose Greek Seasoning instead of salt and pepper.
Top Review by Chef Shadows
Many years ago my supervisor where I worked used to have us over to his house once a month for lunch. His wife made cubed steak that was to die for... this recipe is very close to hers. She would not share her recipe so I have been searching for over 20 years for it. Like I said this one is very close!!!
Thanks for a great recipe, will be making this often.
Every time we make this now PapaD will be in our thoughts!
- 2 lbs beef cube steaks (4 steaks)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed golden mushroom soup
- 16 ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- flour (for dredging)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt and pepper both sides of steaks and dredge in flour.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat melt butter and olive oil, stir in mushrooms and onion and sauté until tender, transfer to plate, brown steaks on both sides and then transfer to plate with onions and mushrooms.
- Pour beef broth into skillet and stir to deglaze then add golden mushroom soup and stir to combine. Add steaks, onions and mushrooms, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for about one hour.
- 2 tablespoons each corn starch and water can be stirred in at the last to make thicker gravy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles.