Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have made this for years with many changes along the way and here is what I have for now. Simple quick meal. For a extra depth in flavor use CAVENDER'S All Purpose Greek Seasoning instead of salt and pepper.
- 2 lbs beef cube steaks (4 steaks)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed golden mushroom soup
- 16 ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- flour (for dredging)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt and pepper both sides of steaks and dredge in flour.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat melt butter and olive oil, stir in mushrooms and onion and sauté until tender, transfer to plate, brown steaks on both sides and then transfer to plate with onions and mushrooms.
- Pour beef broth into skillet and stir to deglaze then add golden mushroom soup and stir to combine. Add steaks, onions and mushrooms, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for about one hour.
- 2 tablespoons each corn starch and water can be stirred in at the last to make thicker gravy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles.
Many years ago my supervisor where I worked used to have us over to his house once a month for lunch. His wife made cubed steak that was to die for... this recipe is very close to hers. She would not share her recipe so I have been searching for over 20 years for it. Like I said this one is very close!!!
Thanks for a great recipe, will be making this often.
Every time we make this now PapaD will be in our thoughts!
Delicious. The grocery store didn't have any cube steaks because their "cubing" machine broke. So I bought 2 thin sliced delmonico steaks. Because Ididn't want to over cook the steaks, I browned the onions and mushrooms to make the gravy which I cooked for 45 minutes. Then I quick cooked the steaks and served them with the gravy. DH loved the gravy.
This dish has always been "comfort food" for me and I hadn't had it in years. Easy recipe and so tasty. Anyone making this, do try to find the "Golden" mushroom soup. It is completely different than cream of mushroom. Made for Cook-a-thon in Papa D's memory. RIP Don.