Recipe by keen5
Prep time is estimated. I never time myself. The cook time depends on where you live and how long things take to boil or thicken.
Top Review by prism1968
Thank you so much for this recipe! I have looked for it ever since I made it 20 years ago and never could find it again. It is wonderful with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. My husband has asked me about it every time he has surplus tomatoes and I've searched all my 'old' recipes in vain. This is the one! (I did flour, salt and pepper the cubed steak before frying, but did everything else the same).
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 2 lbs beef cube steaks or 2 lbs veal cube steaks
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 10 or 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot salad oil, cook steaks, a few at a time, 2 or 3 minutes on each side or until of desired doneness; place on warm platter and keep warm.
- Chop 3 tomatoes and slice 3.
- Reduce heat to medium; to same skillet add 1/4 cup water, chopped tomatoes, green onions, sugar, salt and basil.
- In cup, blend cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth; gradually stir into tomato mixture and cook stirring until thickened.
- Add sliced tomatoes and cook until heated through.
- Spoon tomato mixture over steaks.