Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Prep time is estimated. I never time myself. The cook time depends on where you live and how long things take to boil or thicken.
- In a 10 or 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot salad oil, cook steaks, a few at a time, 2 or 3 minutes on each side or until of desired doneness; place on warm platter and keep warm.
- Chop 3 tomatoes and slice 3.
- Reduce heat to medium; to same skillet add 1/4 cup water, chopped tomatoes, green onions, sugar, salt and basil.
- In cup, blend cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth; gradually stir into tomato mixture and cook stirring until thickened.
- Add sliced tomatoes and cook until heated through.
- Spoon tomato mixture over steaks.
Thank you so much for this recipe! I have looked for it ever since I made it 20 years ago and never could find it again. It is wonderful with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. My husband has asked me about it every time he has surplus tomatoes and I've searched all my 'old' recipes in vain. This is the one! (I did flour, salt and pepper the cubed steak before frying, but did everything else the same).
Excellent! An elegant, tasty dish that is easy to prepare. Because I was making pan gravy for the rest of the family, I prepped this about a half hour ahead of time. Because of that, the slices didn't keep their shape until the time I served it, but that was fine with me. I served it with mashed potatoes and Quick Southern-Style Green Beans. The tomato sauce was good over those as well. This would be a fantastic meal to serve company. It is a terrific use of fresh garden tomatoes. Thanks for posting!