Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A different way to make cube steak - from "Taste of Home."
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup finely crushed saltine
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 (1/4 lb) beef cube steak
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and water.
- Place cracker crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and basil in a third bowl.
- Coat steaks with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown steaks in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Arrange steaks in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 minutes.
- Combine the tomato sauce, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon oregano and garlic powder; spoon over steaks. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Top each steak with mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and remaining oregano.
- Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.