Recipe by Juliesmom
This recipe was adapted from one that came from Sarah Befort in Hays, Kansas, and was published in Taste of Home.
Top Review by mickie49
I thought I'd had all the parmigiana's there were but this one...........new, different and delicious! Cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us, but now wish I had made the whole thing......we could be having beef parmigiana on crusty, onion-garlic rolls for lunch today.......ah well, next time! Your directions were so good, step by step, would really be great for a beginning cook(I'm sending this recipe on to DD1). The next time I make this, I'm thinking of adding some sauteed onions and mushrooms between the cheese and the cube steak in step 11. Thanks so much for posting this---it is a great recipe!
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup finely crushed saltine (about 10 crackers)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 beef cube steaks (1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon additional dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced roasted garlic or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup additional freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; pan spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a large shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add the water, and beat well; pour into shallow dish.
- In another bowl, combine the crushed crackers, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, and 1/2 teaspoon basil; stir well, then pour into shallow dish.
- Dredge each steak in the flour mixture, coating well, then in the eggs, then in the cracker mixture, gently patting the coating onto the meat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add the oil, and saute the coated steaks until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place the browned steaks in the sprayed baking dish and bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes (leave the oven on when done).
- In a bowl combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, onion, half of the oregano, remaining basil, and garlic.
- Spoon tomato mixture over the steaks and return them to the oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Top each steak with a generous slice of mozzarella, sprinkle with the freshly grated (shredded is good, too) Parmesan, and sprinkle with the remaining oregano.
- Bake for about 3 minuntes until cheese are melted to your preference.
- Serve with lightly buttered fettuccini or fettuccini Alfredo, a nice green salad, and garlic bread.