Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Made this last night. Hubby really enjoyed this one. Serve with mashed potatoes. Mmmmm.
- 1 lb cube steak (approx. 2)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup beef broth
- Mix flour & pepper and place on a flat plate.
- Add cube steaks covering with mixture well.
- In a large fry pan with a lid, brown the cube steaks in oil.
- Add onions, mushrooms & garlic.
- Saute about 1 miniute.
- Add stock & worcestershire sauce and bring to a low boil, scraping the pan to loosen brown bits.
- Cover pan & lower heat to a low simmer.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Cook 1 1/2 hours. Serves 2-4.
Pure comfort food! I doubled the recipe & used Montreal Steak Seasoning instead of pepper. After browning the steaks, sauteing the onions (no shrooms for me) and deglazing the pan with the beef stock, I put it a baking dish & finished it off in the oven - 325Âº for 1 hour. Served with mashed potatoes & biscuits, it was a wonderful supper!
I thought the flavor of this was pretty good and I really enjoyed the mushrooms and onions. The meat was fork-tender, but it had a "dry" quality to it that I didn't really like. I served it over rice. I used 4 cube steaks and doubled all of the other ingredients even though it was only about 1 1/2 lb. of meat.
I didn't have cube steak, so I used some other type of tough steak that I had. I did not care for this recipe at all. I followed all of the directions except the cut of meat. The "sauce" was just mushy onions and mushrooms. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing anyway.