Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Man's Dish! He will think you are Queen of the Kitchen if you cook this for him! Great with mashed potatoes or rice. This is a weekly mainstay in our home.
- 1 lb cube steak
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut into rings
- 1 teaspoon flour (use Pillsbury's Shake & Blend Flour for gravies)
- Salt and pepper steak and dredge in flour.
- Using a skillet, fry steak in oil only until just light brown on each side.
- In same skillet add water, ketchup and worcestershire sauce and let simmer on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add onion rings and simmer 10 minutes.
- Push steak and onions to one side in skillet. Using Pillsbury gravy flour, whisk in vigorously while gravy is bubbling and simmer 5 more minutes. (This flour is the secret to not having lumps in your gravy.).
I made this recipe as written but I found it needed more flavour. After checking the reviews, I decided to go with a few of the adjustments that MarthaStewartWanabe included in her review. I added some beef bouillon, a small clove of garlic and some portabello mushrooms. I have never heard of the Pillsbury flour before, so I seasoned my flour with season salt and garlic powder and used about 1 Tbsp of this flour mixture to thicken the gravy. I would probably make this again with these adjustments. Thx SeasonedCook.
This dish is comfort food through and through. The description is correct--"A Man's Dish"--as DH thoroughly enjoyed! The only adjustments I made were substituting beef broth for the water, adding 1 cup quartered mushrooms and adding 2 cloves minced garlic. Thank you for a delicious and satisfying dinner! (Made for Recipe Swap #29 - June 2009)
The gravy this makes is just wonderful! I used some 'Bistro' roast meat gravy mix in place of the flour as I can't get the flour listed. I too added a dash of cream like Marsha D. This one is a keeper :) Made for Aus/NZ swap #28, June 2009.