Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a dish I remember my mom making all of my childhood.
Make and share this Cube Steak With Onion Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cube steaks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge cube steaks in flour mixture; fry steaks until cooked but do not overcook or will become stringy.
- Remove steaks from pan and drain on towels; cover to keep warm.
- Drain off all of fat except for 2 tablespoons.
- Saute onion in skillet till tender;scrape up little bits of meat from pan.
- Add flour and cook with onion till slightly brown.
- Whisk in beef broth and cook till thick and bubbly. If not thick enough mix up a little flour/water and whisk into gravy.
- Cut cube steaks into 1" strips and return to pan with gravy; heat through and serve.
I loved this dish, both for the taste and the ease. This recipe produced a tender and delicious steak that was absolutely devoured. The only change I made was to add some Montreal Steak spice and as suggested by another reviewer, kept some of the flour to thicken the gravy at the end. This will be made again for sure. Thx.
So good and so easy! I only added a little garlic, a touch of Sherry, and a dash of cayenne. Perfect!
A good technique, but like so many other reviewers I had to add seasonings. It would have been quite bland otherwise. My changes were to saute the onion in the pan first, add garlic, cumin, and Italian seasoning to the flour, to use beef soup base rather than bullion, and to add a dash of Kitchen Bouquet to the gravy. Its a good way to treat a tough cut of meat, but don't expect much flavor unless you adapt the seasoning.