Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Simple and quick comfort food. Also goes great with mashed potatoes. Include a green veggie on the side and you are all set. Gravy lovers will really enjoy this meal.
- Cut cube steaks into serving size portions.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lightly coat steaks with flour.
- Prepare brown gravy in small saucepan according to package directions.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet.
- Add onions and saute about 1 min.
- Add steak and brown on both sides.
- Add mushroom soup.
- Add water to soup can (about 1/2 can) and swish to remove soup.
- Add to skillet with meat mixture.
- Add brown gravy mixture and stir to blend.
- Bring to boil, cover, lower heat and simmer about 45 mins or until meat is tender and you can cut it with edge of fork.
- Add mushrooms, stir to heat and serve over rice.
- TO PREPARE RICE: Rinse rice in strainer.
- Place rice in saucepan, add broth.
- Liquid should reach first knuckle on your finger.
- Bring to boil, stir, cover, lower heat to simmer and cook about 15 mins.
- Fluff with fork.
Great recipe for the cube steaks. Have not had the issue that others have had with tough steaks. Mine have always turned out tender enough to break apart with a fork. Rice can easily be substituted with mashed potatoes and the gravy is great. I would skip the canned mushrooms and go with fresh ones.
I've never used cube steak before, but my wife has and when I came home we had cube steak in the fridge. My first thought was, "what the hell do I do with this?". So, found this recipe and it sounded ok. Followed the instructions, used a powdered gravy mix, and make it with garlic mashed potatoes and green peas. Came out pretty good. As others here said, the meat just wasn't very tender, but my wife and I did clean our plate so it certainly wasn't bad. I found it a little strange to mix the mushroom soup and gravy into the skillet with the meat already in there, but it loosened up and mixed fine after the 45 minute simmer. My gravy came out a little thin, so I put a little flour into it as I like a thicker gravy. All in all not bad.
I loved the gravy to this and I will be making this agian, but I will make it with other cuts of meat. I liked the cube steak but as with some cheap cuts of meat it is hard to make it tender.