Recipe by BoxO'Wine
Simple and quick comfort food. Also goes great with mashed potatoes. Include a green veggie on the side and you are all set. Gravy lovers will really enjoy this meal.
Top Review by Max Angst
Great recipe for the cube steaks. Have not had the issue that others have had with tough steaks. Mine have always turned out tender enough to break apart with a fork. Rice can easily be substituted with mashed potatoes and the gravy is great. I would skip the canned mushrooms and go with fresh ones.
- 1 lb beef round cube steak
- garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cube steaks into serving size portions.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lightly coat steaks with flour.
- Prepare brown gravy in small saucepan according to package directions.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet.
- Add onions and saute about 1 min.
- Add steak and brown on both sides.
- Add mushroom soup.
- Add water to soup can (about 1/2 can) and swish to remove soup.
- Add to skillet with meat mixture.
- Add brown gravy mixture and stir to blend.
- Bring to boil, cover, lower heat and simmer about 45 mins or until meat is tender and you can cut it with edge of fork.
- Add mushrooms, stir to heat and serve over rice.
- TO PREPARE RICE: Rinse rice in strainer.
- Place rice in saucepan, add broth.
- Liquid should reach first knuckle on your finger.
- Bring to boil, stir, cover, lower heat to simmer and cook about 15 mins.
- Fluff with fork.