Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
I never liked cube steaks until I found this recipe in TOH Quick Cooking magazine. These turn out melt in your mouth good and the gravy, wow!!
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Add the steaks, a few at a time, and shake until completely coated.
- In a skillet, cook the steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the onion and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining water.
- Add to the slow cooker; cook 30 minutes longer.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.
I'm sorry but my family did not like this. I followed the recipe exactly as written and our meat had no flavor to it at all. I did add a lot of salt and pepper but I think it needed that and more while it was cooking. It smelled so good when it was cooking and I thought they gravy would draw through the meat but it didn't.
An easy and tasty recipe. I don't usually like meats cooked in a crockpot, but this one proved me wrong (again). How nice it makes its own yummy gravy which makes dinnertime a snap. If you are not pressed for time, another worthwhile cube steak recipe is KathyP53's Chicken-fried Steak (#151732). Like Skeeter and a few other reviewers, I didn't like cube steak much either until I tried this one and that one!
This was absolutely wonderful! I used 1 brown gravy mix and 1 mix of onion soup mix because I only had 4 cube steaks but followed the rest of the recipe. My husband and mother in law both loved it! The leftovers were even better and I of course got them, because I found the recipe! :) Thanks a bunch for sharing!