7 hrs 30 mins
I bought some cube steaks on a whim and then was not sure what to do with them. I liked the idea of slow cooking, but not the cream of soups and mixes that so many recipes featured. So I made this up based on what I had in my pantry. Mr Grumpy did not speak while eating, just made little moaning noises.. I guess that means he likes it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1I used a 3 qt slow cooker, This did not fill it up halfway, so that a larger cooker will cook in a much shorter period of time, so please be aware of that.
- 2Rub flour onto both sides of the steaks, and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat the ghee or oil in a skillet and brown the steaks on both sides, transferring to the slow cooker as they are done.
- 4In the meantime, put the carrots, onion, thyme and bay leaf in the slow cooker.
- 5Once the meat is done, reduce the heat and pour the wine into the skillet. Stir to loosen and dissolve the fond and let it simmer briefly to reduce the wine a bit. Pour into the slow cooker.
- 6Add the broth and tomato sauce into the slow cooker.
- 7Cover and cook on LOW for 6 or 7 hours. At this point, the meat held together as I removed it, but was fork tender.
- 8Serve with the gravy that made itself in the crockpot. I found that this needed no additional salt, but you should adjust for your own tastes.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cube Steak in Gravy (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.5
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 434.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: