Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Spinach, cheese, and cube steak. Delicious! Good with hot buttered or cheesy rice. Also good with basmati rice. Spinach mixture is good just by itself as a vegetable.
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can French-fried onions
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 -6 cube steaks
- 2 -3 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray 13x9x2 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine spinach, French fried onions, Colby Jack cheese and salt.
- Mix well.
- Spread a cube steak with about 1/2 teaspoon of mustard, then top with an even layer of spinach mixture& press to flatten.
- Roll up, jelly roll style and set aside.
- Repeat for remaining cube steaks.
- Place remaining spinach mixture into the bottom of the pan and place cube steak spirals on top.
- Combine oil, paprika, pepper and garlic powder and spread over cube steaks.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven.
- Uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
I thought this turned out well and had a good mixture of seasonings. Unfortunately, half of my family members didn't like it. One comment was that it was bland, but I don't really think that was the word he was looking for. I did use sharp cheddar instead of the colby jack, but if anything, that would be more flavorful. He also thought it was overcooked. I didn't have any problems rolling them up. There wasn't a lot of stuffing left, but I was glad to put it in the bottom of the pan. I made four larger cube steaks for four people. I was unsure why it needed french fried onions specifically, since they soften during cooking, and think caramelized onions would be good also.
This was just ok. Not so bad that we didn't eat it but not so good that I'd make it again.
We loved it! This is an amazing way to add a new twist to an old favorite. It was easy and looked great on the plate! I added fresh mushrooms too!