Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground pork
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 navel oranges, zest of
- 2 navel oranges, juice of
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- hot sauce (Tabasco, to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 slices pickles (dill, garlic, or sour)
- 4 slices honey-baked ham (deli-sliced)
- 4 slices swiss cheese (deli-sliced)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 Portuguese rolls, split
- In a big bowl, mix the ground pork, half the chopped garlic, half the orange zest, cumin, coriander, mustard, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Evenly divide meat mixture into 4 portions; form 4 large patties about 1-inch thick.
- Preheat a skillet with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over med-high heat.
- Add patties to hot skillet; cook for 6 minutes.
- Flip and top each patty with three pickle slices, a slice of ham, and a slice of cheese.
- Cook patties for another 5-6 minutes.
- Place a foil tent over the pan for the last 2 minutes or so to ensure the cheese melts and the fixings heat up.
- While the patties are cooking, make the slaw: preheat a large skillet with the remaining vegetable oil.
- Add the remaining garlic and sliced onion to the hot oil; cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the remaining zest, orange juice, red wine vinegar, and honey; continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat off and add the coleslaw mixture, red bell pepper, cilantro, parsley, and salt/pepper to taste, tossing to coat in the warm dressing.
- Serve burgers on Portuguese rolls with the sweet orange warm slaw on top of the burger and alongside.