Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Rachael Ray recipe. The kids really like this.
- 1 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 cups swiss cheese or 3 cups gruyere cheese, shredded, plus additional for topping
- 1⁄2 cup pickle, chopped
- 1 lb thinly sliced ham, chopped (from the deli counter)
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat broiler to high or oven to 400°F.
- Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring it up to a boil to cook the pasta. Once at a boil, add some salt and the pasta and cook it just shy of al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a medium-size skillet over medium heat and add the butter. When the butter melts, add the flour and cook about a minute. Whisk in stock, milk, hot sauce and yellow mustard, and bring up to a bubble. Stir in the cheese in a figure-eight motion, reserving enough to sprinkle on the top of the casserole, until it's all melted. Fold in the pickles and ham, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pasta is done, drain it well and combine with sauce. Transfer the mac and cheese to 4 individual ceramic ramekins and top each one with a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Place the ramekins onto a baking sheet and toss them under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese on top, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the Cubano Mac & Cheese with a simple salad alongside and enjoy.